Thursday, August 9, 2012

Wise Partners: Cynthia Saito of Treehouse Tykes

Wise Coffee, Inc. is honored to have incredible partnerships with fantastic companies and communities.  In each issue of "The Coffee Talk News," we'll interview one of our partners and talk with them about their businesses, what makes them tick, and where they and their companies are going.  These are the people to watch! 

We sat down with Cynthia Saito, Co-founder and Vice President of Merchandising for Treehouse Tykes.  Treehouse Tykes is the leading venue for children's furniture, bedding, gear, accessories and apparel at up to 70% off. Membership is free and 10% of our net proceeds go to the school or charity of your choice.

Treehouse Tykes is a supporter of Wise Coffee, and our second online event with them is coming up on August 24th.

How did you get started with THT? What was the impetus?

My partner Elena Zaretsky realized that her shopping habits had changed drastically after the arrival of her second child. Her quantity of time to shop traditionally had decreased drastically. A close friend of hers had launched a wildly successful flash sales site in a different market segment and from there she grew an idea that catered to her specific needs at the time; Babies. When she approached me about bringing my talents, experience and skill sets to help create and develop the site, I was specific that we not focus only on babies but the full spectrum of upscale Kids and Families. We both realized that being able to give back to our communities was a priority but, how? Elena wanted to help her school and schools across the country bridge the gaps of cut backs by creating a pool of donations that would be awarded to one or a few lucky organizations. I was adamant that every parent should be able to decide where they wanted their contribution to go. From there we decided that every single person who signed up could register for any school (public or private) or non-profit (within the USA) of their choice, enabling the customer to control the give-back. The more they shop, they more money the school or charity receives. By the way, our give-back is 10% straight out of our pockets!
Where do you find is the source of the passion that you bring to your organization?

I’m an entrepreneur at heart. It’s a genetic thing, going back a few generations. I’m a patented inventor, creator, merchant and mom! I love the back side of the business as well; the sales, the marketing, the relationships and the challenges. The drive and passion come easy but, only when I believe strongly in what I represent. My family and my family’s future are the single focus and sole driver to all of this. I have two companies that hold me responsible. “Treehouse Tykes” which I am a Co-Founder with Elena and “Wrapadoo”, which is 100% me! “Wrapadoo” is a product manufacturing company that launched a uniquely innovative product to the market about 3 years ago. Since then we have seen great press/buzz, licensing deals, retailers, Hotels and boutiques all commit to our products which now includes a Baby & Home line of luxury Blankets and oversized Throws. Both companies involve obligations and commitments that I’m constantly weighing and considering, always making sure the balance doesn’t kilter too far to one side or the other. I have yet to achieve anything near a Zen like existence, that’s the down side of being an entrepreneur; balance does not exist (at least not for me). My priorities exist around my kids, which also mean business takes a back seat when need be. Of course the flip side is that my businesses are in place to help take care of my family’s future. It’s not always balanced but, it’s not crashing either.

What do you find most challenging?

I find the “no’s” most challenging and the most fun! I really like when someone tells me no, that’s when the creative side kicks in and takes over. That’s when the creative side of my brain takes over, works a problem from the back side, inside-out and somehow from the deep recesses of the middle, I find a new start point.  What do find most rewarding? The long processed, well deserved “Yes”!
Need to note that my kids are equally my most challenging and most rewarding; I have two great kids who are far more balanced and well adjusted than I am.

How do you find your ability to find the life-work balance for yourself and for your family?

I work from home and hope that never changes. It allows me and my family the commitment I want and the flexibility I need to stay on point with both businesses and family. I work, I volunteer regularly, I cook every meal, tuck into bed every night but, I’m really lousy when it comes to cleaning, really lousy! (my dream is to make enough money to hire a staff to keep things clean!) I try not to work too many hours over the weekends because it’s just not fair to anyone, including myself.

What is the future of THT?

Treehouse Tykes has an incredible future ahead of it! We launched Beta in Holiday 2011, we are now about to evolve into a new sector that allows us to grow away from the deep discounting, fatigue and over indulgences of Flash sales, focusing exclusively on the high quality partnerships and Brands that we dream of. Our focus going forward will be about showcasing Brand partnerships, strength of community, social needs and give-back with innovative tech developments, bringing seamless commerce that far exceeds our current daily offerings.

Where do you see yourself/THT in the next 5 years?

Enjoying my family, no matter what I will be enjoying my family, my hard work and pride in knowing wherever we land, I gave it my best. Where I end doesn’t matter, it’s the ride along the way I can make the most of.

No comments:

Post a Comment